Tuesday, February 3, 2009

We have lived here for a month already?! Wow!

I cannot believe how quickly the weeks pass in our new lifestyle. Individual days may seem long but a week seems to go by in a day. Things are going very well for us down here in the deep south.
Cody is very busy with work. Right now they are focusing on their shooting and getting experience in being a leader in this new environment. The interesting about BOLC II (basic officer leadership course 2) is that officers produced from ROTC, military academy, and OCS all come together and learn to work with each other and are trained so that everyone is on the same page. Cody says that you can tell who is from where and feels like he had an advantage coming fresh out of OCS and basic. He works with people from all different branches as well. The exciting thing about BOLC II is that we should hear where our new permanent duty station will be by the end of the course. SHOULD is the key word there. I know Cody is anxious because he checks his email everyday for it. I am not that anxious because I am happy here in Georgia and don't want to deal with bad news... aka Alaska or New York. Have I mentioned that I hate the cold?

Cody got a truck this weekend. Out of the two of us, I don't know who is more excited. We sold the black car when Cody left for basic (it was a piece of junk at that point) so we have been making due with one car, which is terrible for me and Greyer. I am not much of a hang out around the house kind of person. I need to get out and meet people and do things. So yes, we found a truck and bought it and now we both have our own cars. I drive the fusion and he has his truck. Obviously the fusion is what we will drive on family outings, as trucks aren't really meant for toddlers ;-)

Another exciting thing is that I found a fantastic playgroup. It has over 250 moms in it! Wow! I know! haha. Of course many of them are not very active, but Greyer and I attend several events a week. We have met a wide variety of families and I have spotted some potential good friends. I am excited about this because North Canton didn't have anything similar. Plus, being that this is a big military town, there are many younger mothers, which is nice. Age isn't a big deal for me, but attitude is. Back in Ohio I felt like i was scoffed at because I am a younger mother. Here it is normal. And being an older mother is normal as well. Everyone here is very accepting. That is one thing that I see different in the military. No closed-mindedness, no judging (well, no probably isn't the best word, but less) and a willingness to make new friends.

Through this playgroup I met a woman who has an online business selling cloth diapers and various ec0-friendly baby products. I am meeting with her next week in order to discuss her bringing me on board for consulting and bookkeeping purposes. I am really excited and am praying that things work out. She also has a 2 year old and her husband is military.

Greyer is doing very well here. He loves his playroom (it is bright and sunny and perfect for him) and plays with his cars for hours on end. He still loves to read and is talking extremely well. The Disney/Pixar movie CARS is his OBSESSION right now. He asks to watch the movie ... well. He wants it on the TV all the time. TowMater (larry the cable guy) is his favorite character. We cannot find the die-cast replica of him ANYWHERE. I feel terrible!

I hope you continue to check up on our blog and stay in contact with us. We miss you all but are so happy to be here in Georgia :-)

4 comments:

  1. I am happy you are doing well and enjoying Georgia!! The weather IS nice...I must admit. As far as worrying about where you will go next...that is normal. On the bright side of things, sure...there are bad places, but if you are there...try to make the best of it and realize that it won't be forever...however...you could end up somewhere really amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really great that you're blogging...
    and good to read about greyer being happy in the new surroundings. good luck with the potential job. i'm sure wherever they place you, it will be a positive environment.
    we are waiting on a potential job for me in sydney, so i know that can be nerve racking waiting for an 'unknown'...
    we also have a tiny break in the adoption issue as well, which may develop into something.
    later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sent your link to momma and papa :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! so glad you have a blog now! i'm excited to have peeks into your adventures. and i'm so glad to hear that you found a big playgroup that is a good fit for you. i'm keeping my fingers crossed for an NC assignment for Cody. that would be awesome...we could take beach trips together. :) much love to each of you!

    ReplyDelete